Farming is the heart and the Loddon River is the life blood of Bridgewater on Loddon and the surrounding district.
In the late 1830s the central and southern areas were runs selected by squatters and held under licence.
With the discovery of GOLD nearby in 1860 the township of Bridgewater had begun.
In its heyday, Bridgewater boasted up to 11 hotels, general stores, boot-makers, breweries, cordial, cheese and butter factories, butcher shops, blacksmiths, saddlers shops, bakeries, flour mills, fruit and lolly shops, the railway and its own Chinese market Garden.
Although gold originally attracted many it was the LIQUID GOLD of the LODDON RIVER that enabled famIlies and communities to LIVE, GROW and PROSPER; creating this wonderful community that it is today.
Bridgewater enjoys plenty of warm, sunny days, clear star filled evenings and balmy summer nights.
Situated in a prime mixed farming region the district offers a good balance of retail, business and industry with affordable housing and lifestyle blocks with plenty of opportunity for growth.